History and Biography of John Sechrist and Susan Frey
John Sechrist, born January 13, 1813 in York County, PA, was the 5th child and second son of Henry Sechrist and Anna Magdalena Flinchbaugh. Sometime in the late 1830’s, he married Susan Frey, daughter of Michael Frey and Elizabeth Roser. Susan was born December 1, 1820 in York County and she also was raised in Chanceford Twp, not far from where John was raised.
According to the biographical sketch of his son John F. in the History of York County, Pennsylvania, Volume 2 by George Powell in 1907, John was educated in the common public schools of the county and then was employed by his father to haul the whiskey his father made to Baltimore. John then purchased a 149 acre farm near his father Henry and his brothers Jonathan and Charles in Chanceford Twp. His property was located along what is presently Main St. Extended to the east of Felton borough and his home was beside a little stream that feeds into the North Branch Muddy Creek. Trinity School, a one-room schoolhouse in Chanceford Twp. at the intersection of Main St. Extended and Trinity Rd. was built on land sold by John Sechrist to the Chanceford Twp. School District.
John was a farmer by trade and resided on his farm for 56 years, after which time he sold the farm and him and Susan retired to Red Lion, where they both passed away. He was a lifelong Democrat and loyal to his party, but he could not be persuaded to run for office. Also, he was a devout Christian and served as trustee of Trinity Evangelical Church, which was located right next to his property at the intersection of Main St. Extended and Trinity Rd.
John and Susan were the parents of nine children, from oldest to youngest they were named Henry, Jacob, Amos, Leah (married to Emanuel Stabley), Elizabeth, James, William, Stephen and John. Elizabeth never married or had children and William died as a young child, therefore they will not have their own page with any additional information.
John Sechrist born January 13, 1813 in York County, PA, died January 14, 1901 in York County, PA and buried at Red Lion Cemetery in Red Lion, York County, PA. He married Susan Frey born December 1, 1820 in York County, PA, died July 16, 1912 in York County, PA and buried at Red Lion Cemetery in Red Lion, York County, PA
Children of John Sechrist and his wife Susan Frey:
- Henry Sechrist (February 20, 1840 – January 1, 1908) married Sarah Reichard (February 20, 1841 – December 19, 1911)
- Jacob Sechrist (November 25, 1841 – November 21, 1933) married Mary Shaull (September 14, 1844 – October 7, 1904)
- Amos Sechrist (October 19, 1844 – March 8, 1909) married Sarah Elizabeth Craley (November 1, 1852 – May 5, 1894)
- Leah Sechrist (March 10, 1846 – June 4, 1904) married Emanuel Stabley (May 2, 1834 – October 4, 1915)
- Elizabeth Sechrist (February 5, 1849 – September 9, 1915)
- James Sechrist (February 29, 1852 – November 27, 1930) married Cordelia Susan Reichard (May 19, 1857 – August 30, 1921)
- William Sechrist (January 26, 1854 – April 7, 1859)
- Stephen Stanley Sechrist (March 24, 1857 – November 30, 1943) married Susan Stein (October 22, 1859 – October 20, 1938)
- John Franklin Sechrist (June 18, 1863 – July 17, 1930) married Emma Stein (December 1, 1864 – November 22, 1947)
Back to Henry Sechrist (1772-1856)