History and Biography of Mary Sechrist & Felix Albright
Mary Sechrist was the 5th child and third daughter of John Sechrist and Anna Wildberger. Unlike her older siblings, she was not born in Rafz, Switzerland, but was born here in the colonies. As mentioned on her father’s page, her birth and baptism were recorded at Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster County, PA. She was born on August 9, 1747 and baptized on May 15, 1748. The baptismal record lists her name as Dorothea, but the baptismal record for her and her husbands first child lists her name as Maria Dorothy. In all likelihood, her birth name was Maria Dorothea Sechrist, but she decided to use her “saint’s” name since none of her other sisters were named Maria/Mary.
Sometime around 1763, Mary married Felix Albright/Albrecht, as their oldest child was born in October 1764. According to Felix’s estate, him and Mary were the parents of seven children. In order from oldest to youngest, their names were Maria Eva, Margaret, Henry, Jacob, Christian, Magdalena and Elizabeth. Felix owned 300 acres in York Township, just to the northwest of the present day borough of Red Lion. The origin of Mill Creek was in the center of his property.
Of note in this family, Felix and Mary’s son’s Jacob and Henry became well known gunsmiths and makers of Kentucky Long Rifles.
Mary Sechrist born August 9, 1747 in Lancaster County, PA, baptized May 15, 1748 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster County, PA and died unknown. She married Felix Albright/Albrecht, born March 14, 1734 in Zurich, Switzerland and died December 1780 in York County, PA.
Children of Mary Sechrist and Felix Albright:
- Maria Eva Albright born October 20, 1764 in York County, PA, baptized November 18, 1764 at Christ Lutheran Church in York, York County, PA and died unknown.
- Margaret Albright born October 4, 1766 in York County, PA, died June 22, 1839 in York County, PA and buried at Fissel’s Union Church in Shrewsbury, Twp, York County, PA. she married George Amspacher born October 27, 1763 in York County, PA, died August 8, 1849 in York County, PA and buried at Fissel’s Union Church in Shrewsbury, Twp, York County, PA
- Henry Albright born March 23, 1768 in York County, PA, baptized May 26, 1768 at Blymire’s Church in York Township, York County, PA and died about 1847 in Tuscarawas, OH.
- Jacob Albright born about 1772 in York County, PA and died in 1840 in Centre County, PA. He married (first) Catherine Brungart and (second) Barbara Homan.
- Christian Albright born about 1774 in York County, PA. He married (first) Barbara Brungart, (second) Christina (unknown), and (third) Elizabeth Brodbeck.
- Magdalena Albright born September 14, 1777 in York County, PA, baptized November 10, 1777 at Blymire’s Church in York Township, York County, PA and died unknown.
- Elizabeth Albright born about 1779 in York County, PA.
147total visits,1visits today